UN Global Compact
The Santen Group participates in the United Nations Global Compact (UN Global Compact) and is promoting business activities considering corporate social responsibility as a member of global society.
Participating in the UN Global Compact
In October 2017, we announced that Santen had newly joined the UN Global Compact.
Along with contributing to society through business activities based on Santen's Values, promoting CSR activities integrated into business conduct and activities based on high ethical standards are crucial to a company's fulfillment of social responsibilities and continuing sustainable growth together with society.
UN Global Compact is a voluntary, global initiative supporting a global framework for sustainable growth through the demonstration of creative, responsible leadership by the respective corporations and organizations as principled members of society.
Santen intends to support and practice the ten principles of the UN Global Compact in the four areas of human rights, labour, environment, and anti-corruption, which are in line with Santen's Values and the Santen Code of Practice, in pursuit of a sustainable society.
The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact
- Human Rights
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
Efforts to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Sustainable development goals (SDGs), adopted by the members of the United Nations, state 17 goals to be achieved by 2030. In the field of health, Goal 3: "Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages" is specified.
The Santen Group's basic policy on CSR is to continue our contribution to improve the Quality of Life (QOL) of patients around the world by providing valuable products and services through its business activities guided by Santen's Values, "Tenki ni sanyo suru". As a specialized company in the field of ophthalmology, we will contribute to the achievement of Goal 3 and other SDGs through such efforts as improving access to pharmaceuticals.